Sun & it's Rays

Sun & it's Rays
Dedicated to my parents & teachers

Sunday, April 1, 2007

Criteria of sampling design

This post is in reference to the post by Hemangi, named Criteria of sampling design- GO Measure Practical Economy! (Sunday, April 1, 2007) http://metca6research.blogspot.com/search/label/DAY%203

Well I am not sure about this but this is what i understood about the post.
The criteria for selecting a sampling design are as follows:



  • GOAL ORIENTATION: While selecting a sampling design, a researcher will keep in mind the final goal or say the objective of the study. The sample choosen should be such that the objective of the research is fulfilled. For e.g. a researcher may or may not want to generalize the results among the whole population, but only to the school from where the sample is.


  • MEASUREABILITY: The sample design should be such that the results of the study are measurable. The sample size should be such that the results couls be generalized to the whole population.




  • PRACTICALITY: The sampling design choosen for the research should be done keeping in mind the practicality of the design. the resaercher needs to practically think of all the possible problems that could be faced. Also theresearcher needs to keep in mind the accessibility of the samples practically. (keeping in mind the problems we discussed yesterday).


  • ECONOMY: One of the most important criteria that should be kept in mind is economy, that is the money factor, as the funds required for the research will be more or less, depending on the sample design. And the sample design will in turn depend on the funds available for research. Also, the researcher may not be able to conduct the research & hence might need research assistants for help. The time factor should also be kept in mind. The activities in any research should be well planned & the researcher keeping in mind the time available for research should choose a sample design.

Image 1: http://secwepemc.org/2step/goals.gif
Image 2:
http://www.jamesheiresconsulting.com/Tape%20Measure.jpg
Image 3: http://www.usask.ca/uofs/report98/images/accessibility.jpg
Image4: http://library.thinkquest.org/J003358F/money_tree5.jpg

1 comment:

Hemangi said...

It seems that both of us are thinking in opposite directions, as I clarified in my post, what I expected was for you all to relate the pictures with the terms above them and not any other term.
I also observe that you have related the accessibility issue of sample with the practicality criteria of a sampling design, speaking of sampling design I’m reminded that you were confused about the term, well I think Shalini has an answer for you on her post about criteria of sampling design
http://shalini9.blogspot.com/2007/04/day-3-go-measure-practical-economy.html
Do check it out.
You seem to have concentrated only on the money factor for economy, I put up pictures of time and personnel so that you would relate it with economy, (if you get confused because of this line just refer to the latest post on my blog.)
I like the pictures you have used to communicate the criteria of sampling design, however I don’t quite understand the picture p0ut up for practicality, I’ve made a similar question to someone else from your group